Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Best Traditional R&B Performance



Now, we're back to the Grammys...

Today's category is Best Traditional R&B Performance. It's a category that's been in existence since 1999, where it was initially awarded for entire albums. This was done to offset the rising popularity of a grittier, more street oriented Hip Hop flavor of R&B. In order to preserve the original "sanctity" of this style of music (for the lack of another term), this category was developed alongside the Best R&B Male/Female Vocal Performance categories, thereby recognizing both popular and classic tastes. In 2003, the category was renamed  to reflect being an award for a single song, instead of an entire album.

This year the category some of the music industry's best R&B talents. Each of these artists are solid choices, especially when considering the specific song choices. Let's check them out...




Sometimes I Cry - Eric Benét. This is a lush, cozy, beautiful sad song. It's sad... but it's not really sad... this song illustrates the whole idea of "it's better to have loved and lost..." theory. This song is what exists on the other side.When someone has experienced true love with someone else, and for whatever reason they do not stay together, there is a whole that cannot be filled by anyone else. That is what this song is about. Sung in his beautiful falsetto, Eric masterfully paints this portrait of love's aftermath, while, at the same time, channeling Marvin Gaye (When I'm Alone, I Cry) and Prince (The Beautiful Ones). This is true rhythm and blues. Key Lyrics: "I'm movin' on, I'm feelin' strong inside, but sometimes I cry, when I'm all alone... help me know how to... let you go..."Song in One Word: closure. Pick: Wow... that's a tough one... (can we have a five-way tie?)... I think he get's an honorable mention, but no prize to take home.




Fool for You (featuring Melanie Fiona) - Cee Lo Green. This song is strong and serves as an example of why Cee Lo is actually a star. Underneath all the antics, costumes and outlandish performances, he can actually translate emotions extremely well. When listening to this... especially his intro in the song's opening moments, he displays his talent in true classic R&B fashion. It's hard not to draw comparisons to Billy Stewart, when listening to this song. I'm really baffled as to why this version isn't on the album. Melanie Fiona's performance fits so right in harmony with Cee Lo's, that it makes this song a bright light of happiness. This is a celebration of love. Key Lyrics: "Can't nobody tell me nothin'. It is what it is!... So rare they swear that you just don't exist!" Song in One Word: intense. Pick: I don't think it's the favorite... but he might swoop in and steal it... Most likely, close-but-not-this-time.




Radio Message - R. Kelly. This song finds Kelly in top form, creating wonderfully crafted music that keeps its innocence. This song comes from one of Kelly's best efforts of his entire career. Like most of the other songs on the album, this song is stripped of the braggadocio and sexual posturing found on so many of his releases. What is left is raw soul... presented with all the polished smoothness of an old school R&B crooner. This is the Blues, in the key of modern R&B. Even the theme of the song (a radio message shout-out/apology) brings one back to a time of prevailing innocence and hope. This is Kelly's future... should he decide to embrace it. Key Lyrics: "Don't you hear the state of mind I'm in? I'm going crazy, 'cause I lost my best friend." Song in One Word: forgiveness. Pick: I think this record should get the Grammy... however, I don't think it will (politics)... final pronouncement: close second.




Good Man - Raphael Saadiq. This song is a gritty, southern, old fashioned ballad of love done wrong. Saadiq truly captures the Memphis sound on this record. With the song, the listener is walked through the inexplicable breakup of a relationship (including what seems to be an unjustified arrest). We get to see, hear and experience that the treachery he suffered opened the door for a better life, towards the end of the song, when the heavenly horns rescue us from the sorrow of this broken love. This is a sublime moment, rarely experienced in modern music. This is what music should be. Key Lyrics: "I don't think I deserve this from you... My life is better... so much better... without you..." Song in One Word: mesmerizing. Pick: It's a little too deep for its own good. This may be thoroughly understood by the Black community, however it may not penetrate enough of the popular consciousness for it's greatness to be recognized. He overshoots the mark... no prize.




Surrender - Betty Wright and The Roots. This is a comfortable couch of a song. This is a brand new bed... and expensive bed! This song wraps around you and dances you over to your partner. Betty Wright's ability to illustrate new love is quite legendary... she's an icon, pure and simple. This song and it's performance is a stunning example of this deep well of wisdom and talent. Betty simply blesses up with this track. This is a perfect account of new love developing... taking over and enveloping the singer/listener in an almost real-time fashion. This song sees love conquer all of the walls, road blocks and defenses that we put up to protect ourselves from the pain of making mistakes. The song's execution is perfectly tuned and Wright's performance is right on point. This is falling in love... no, more like walking into it, with eyes open and smiling wide. Key Lyrics: "I'm waving my flag, I surrender. I feel it's love, this time... but I've been hurt so many times, I don't wanna be flying blind... I need someone who will love me right from the start, with all his heart..." Song in One Word: submission. Pick: This will be a tough category to win, however, the veteran will (I predict) emerge victorious. (No need for Surrendering... )


No comments:

Post a Comment