Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Love, Whitney...


In the recognition of the loss of one of the most significant voices in the expression of love and lovers, I am writing this article... remembering Whitney Houston, who passed on from this existence to the next, on Saturday, February 11, 2012.


This article is about Whitney Houston - The Voice; The Sonic Paintbrush of God, utilized to clearly illustrate our emotions and experiences of love. I'm writing about Whitney's magnificent contribution to the Soundtrack of our Lives. So, if you're interested in reading about her faults, flaws, unwise agreements, or the questionable nature of her death, this is not the blog for you. We will explore her lasting legacy, as an artist, and as, quite possibly, the greatest female voice of the second half of the 20th century. No matter what anyone thought of her, no one could rightfully deny the power, beauty, and clarity of her voice, as well as her supremely capable skill in expressing it to touch the souls of people all around the world... literally.


For this exploration and remembrance of Whitney's music and effects, I will select certain love songs from throughout her career and identify the memories each song connects me with. That is what happens when songs impact us in a way that they become part of our life's soundtrack. When you hear it, you are automatically connected with memories of your own life and experiences, which have been associated with that song. As I chronicle a few of the moments in time that, for me, are now associated with these songs, I invite you to do the same. What memories do these songs bring to your mind?



You Give Good Love. Just barely into my teenage years, I had absolutely no idea what this song was about. It would be much, much, much later when I truly began to appreciate it, however, this song single-handedly  got me interested in the notion of love and provided me with a... feeling... a vibration of how to identify love. Needless to say, it was one of the first songs that carried a personal significance to me... and I'm sure I'm not alone.



Just the Lonely Talking Again. When the second album was released, I was fully in high school and this song takes me back to that time. I was one of the lonely, smart boys, who either stood on the walls and watched other people dance, or just didn't go to the dance, at all. I really was (or, at least I thought at the time) really ready for love... Don't we all think that, around that age? Anyway, I can recall pensive moments alone in my room, thinking about the many girls who were the various objects of my would-be affection. They're names are much more difficult to recall, now, with the effects of time and experience... but I can see them clearly, and when I listen to this song, I can feel the need to have love returned.



Lover For Life. When this came out, I was in college and had actually experienced my first lasting, successful relationship (albeit with the temporary self-life that collegiate romances tend to have). This song, although never released as a single, I always found to be one of the best on the album. It had a prominent appearance on my first mix tape (back when they were still actually mix tapes!)... When I listen to this, I'm transported to dorm rooms and back roads to and from college and off-campus apartments... This, for me, connects me with the earliest conversations of long-lasting relationships... it brings to mind the plans couples make for the rest of their lives. This song is blissful comfort, wrapped into a tight package of less than five minutes.



I Will Always Love You. This is Houston's most famous, signature song. I, like many of the rest of you, have many memories associated with it. This song is timeless... it is, quite simply... perfect (in both execution and intent, as well as impact). However, that having been said, the memory that rises to the top, when I hear this iconic love letter, is much more recent. This song now brings to mind my daughter, who first began to notice, recognize and develop opinions about music and artists with this song. I can remember her asking, from the back seat of the car, for me to play "Whitley" Houston I Will Love You. It still makes me smile, to this day.



Why Does it Hurt So Bad. When this song came out, I was graduating from one college and going to another to start post-graduate studies. Just as with most major life transitions, there were a great many changes that had to be made. This song brings me back to that time, where relationships were closed out, like chapters of a book to which the reader becomes emotionally attached. I remember starting over in a new state and the loneliness of the initial weeks. Knowing that this feeling will pass and going through the passing process are two different things. It reminds me that it's never as bad as you think it is, while it's happening (no matter what "it" is).



I Believe in You and Me. This reminds me... of being newly married. The freshness of true adult love and commitment. I remember this song as if it were a part of my wedding (and, no, it wasn't)... I "discovered" this song some years after it was originally released, due to changes in my personal life and, subsequently, my listening preferences. One day I watched the movie, and was struck by the soundtrack so significantly that I went out to find it. I listened to and studied this song... It is a perpetual wedding march... the capturing of the purity of love and commitment in a sound recording. This reminds me... of newlywed smiles and bright eyes... it reminds me of... leaps of faith taken by young lovers.



My Love Is Your Love. This song reminds me... no... it takes me back to a time when I understood the concept of forever, as it relates to relationships. I remember going through hard times, and having to depend on my wife, and my wife having to depend on me... This song makes me remember the true nature of marriage, being a team effort.



Million Dollar Bill & Worth It. When these songs came out, I was excited to finally hear Whitney again... and I was filled with the exuberance of youth! My wife and I both loved these songs. Million Dollar Bill, reminds me of driving around town, running errands, listening to this song on repeat! After many years, and too many dysfunctional relationships, I actually understood and fully knew how to appreciate love and the celebration of it. Worth It brings to mind the enduring quality of love. "This is for the lovers just gettin' on their feet. This is for the lovers 'bout twenty years deep." These are some of the best lyrics Whitney's sung... experience is a wonderful thing. I can relate to ( and even remember) almost all the lyrics in this song, from a first hand perspective. This song especially makes me remember looking into my wife's eyes and thinking, "yeah... it's worth it." "What's worth it?" you might ask... well if you have to ask, then you're not really ready for the answer...



So, this is not a "Best of Whitney Houston" list, this is just a short sampling of her contribution to the Soundtrack to Life.  Be free to write your own list and maybe even leave a comment or two. Whatever you do, make sure to take the time to listen to, and enjoy, a few songs from one of the greatest voices ever to be given to the world.

Until next time, keep listening and stay tuned.

2 comments:

  1. Great soundtrack and tribute to a great singer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment! I'm glad you're checking out this blog... keep reading, because there's more to come!

    ReplyDelete